The Big Olive Grand Tour of Athens
Birthplace of drama, democracy and philosophy, Athens today is a maze of aesthetic anarchy filled with steel and concrete edifices and bustling thoroughfares. But hidden away from the busy main roads you will find a secret city of narrow alleyways, hidden courtyards and ancient buildings all of which are cobwebbed by time. Relish this cultural mishmash with this walking tour that explores the neighbourhoods where Athens began.
In a nutshell
This tour spans 3,400 years of Athenian history, including: Greek and Roman ruins; medieval churches; Ottoman mosques; stately neoclassical edifices; vibrant city squares, and colourful markets. Over the course of the walk, your guide aims to give a broad but comprehensive look at the city, explaining in detail how the city as a whole has been planned and built as well as the institutions, individuals, and visionaries who are a part of its long, compelling story.
- The Parliament House (Old Royal Palace);
- The Neoclassical Trilogy: the Academy, the University and the National Library;
- St.Theodore, one of the oldest churches in Athens.
- The ancient city gates of Acharnae and the municipal market;
- The Cathedral of Athens;
- An Athenian house museum furnished entirely with family belongings from 19th and 20th centuries;
- The old town Plaka;
- The hills of Philopappos and the Pnyx -the place of assembly in ancient Athens: a vantage point over the Acropolis, where your guide will explain in detail the meaning behind the art and architecture of the Acropolis temples.
Duration: 3 hours
Starting point: Syntagma area (exact location provided upon booking)
Drop-off point: Philopappos Hill
Language of delivery: English
- Meet & greet at Hotel (for hotels within walking distance from the start point)
- Private guidance by a Big Olive field expert
- All taxes, legal charges and processing fees.
Meals, transfers and other personal expenses not mentioned above
Ratecard (The below rates are per group)
1 person 2-4 persons 5-7 persons 8-10 persons 10-12 persons 12-15 persons 15-20 persons
180 € 200 € 240 € 260 € 280 € 300 € 320 €
- Rates vary according to group size and the duration of the walk.
- This walk is available for private bookings only and allows further customization/theme adaptation
- You can extend or reduce the duration of the walk (please contact us for a special quote based on your preferences).
- This is a city walk – please equip yourself with comfortable shoes, a hat and sun-block.
- This walk will not enter any archaeological sites.
“We have dreamed the world as resistant, mysterious, visible, ubiquitous in space and firm in time, but we have allowed slight, and eternal, bits of the irrational to form part of its architecture so as to know that it is false.” – Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.
Request this walk as private
Pricing & Bookings
This city walk will be delivered to private groups in English or in Greek, with the price on display being for the whole group (depending on its size). Kindly indicate the preferred date, starting time & participant number by filling the following form