The Lost River Ilissos
During antiquity, river Ilissos was famed for its natural beauty and the collection of architectural landmarks along its banks. Today the Ilissos is channeled to flow underground, and its banks, which were favoured by Socrates and Aristotle for walking and teaching, have been replaced by busy roadways.
Stroll in a nutshell
Follow the reverse route of the lost river and examine the evolution of the Athenian history, art and architecture. Points of interest include Aristotle’s philosophical school, architectural remnants of the Roman Empire, 19th century neoclassical and beaux-arts edifices, traces of 20th-century refugee settlements and fine examples of modernist art and architecture.
Duration: 3 hours
Starting point: Acropolis Metro Station, Exit Areopagitou Street (exact location here)
Language of delivery: English
- Meet & greet at Hotel (for hotels within walking distance from the start point)
- Private guidance by a Big Olive field expert
- All taxes, legal charges and processing fees.
Meals, transfers and other personal expenses not mentioned above
Ratecard (The below rates are per group)
1 person 2-4 persons 5-7 persons 8-10 persons 10-12 persons 12-15 persons 15-20 persons
180 € 200 € 240 € 260 € 280 € 300 € 320 €
- Rates vary according to group size and the duration of the walk.
- This walk is available for private bookings only and allows further customization/theme adaptation
- You can extend or reduce the duration of the walk (please contact us for a special quote based on your preferences).
- This is a city walk – please equip yourself with comfortable shoes, a hat and sun-block.
- This walk will not enter any archaeological sites.
Syngrou-Fix • Zappeio • Evangelismos.
“Luxuriant grass, a fine plane-tree and a clear spring, hard by Ilissus, were inspiration enough for Socrates: in such a spot he could sit bantering Phaedrus, refuting Lysias, and invoking the Muses.” – Lucian, The Hall
Image credits: Demosthenes Boukis (1963); Johann Michael Wittmer (1833); D. Rigopoulos (2013); D. Filippides (2014)
Book your walk
Pricing & Bookings
This city walk is currently only offered to private groups in English or in Greek, with the price on display being for the whole group (depending on its size). Kindly indicate the preferred date, starting time & participant number by filling the following form