The areas west of Athens have nested the productive sector of the Greek capital throughout the 20th century. The districts around Omonoia, in particular, have successfully catered to a palimpsest of populations of various classes and ethnic groups. Contemporary practices and beliefs gradually led secondary industries out of town, leaving remnants of production spaces behind; empty building carcasses and brownfields are today landscapes of potential development.
Stroll in a nutshell
This stroll follows the social zymoses and mutations in the former productive areas of Psyrri, Metaxourgheio andKerameikos. It tells a story of successive expansion, dislocation and gentrification by providing a deeper insight into the current urban geography of developing territories of the centre.
Omonoia • Metaxourgheio • Votanikos • Kerameikos
- Diplarios School
- Theatrou Square
- Avdi Square
Duration: 3 hours
Meeting point: Metro station ‘Omonoia’ outside Venetis (BENETH) Bakery (exact location here).
Drop off Point: Gazi Square, close to Gazi Metro Station
Language of delivery: English
- Meet & greet at Hotel (for hotels within walking distance from the start point)
- Private guidance by a Big Olive field expert
- All taxes, legal charges and processing fees.
Meals, transfers and other personal expenses not mentioned above
Ratecard (The below rates are per group)
Small Group (1-6 persons) Average group (7-12 persons) Large group (13-20 persons)
280 € 320 € 340 €
- Rates vary according to group size and the duration of the walk.
- This walk is available for private bookings only and allows further customization/theme adaptation
- You can extend or reduce the duration of the walk (please contact us for a special quote based on your preferences).
- This is a city walk – please equip yourself with comfortable shoes, a hat and sun-block.
- This walk will not enter any archaeological sites.
“By far the greatest and most admirable form of wisdom is that needed to plan and beautify cities and human communities.” – Socrates