The Orientalist’s Walk
Wealthy Europeans of the 18th and early 19th centuries made a cultural pilgrimage to France and Italy in search of art, architecture, culture and the roots of Western civilization. Greece, still under Ottoman rule, was the destination of the more adventurous and daring. Follow the itinerary of these adventurers to unveil the little known Oriental history of Athens.
Walk in a nutshell
This is a meandering walk that besides getting you to some major sites it will lead you though the city’s lesser-seen historic side streets offering a different perspective of Athens. Tour takes in splendid ruins of classical antiquity, Byzantine churches, stately Ottoman mansions, mosques and synagogues and an atmospheric Turkish bath house. This walk will also lead you through the city’s Jewish history and heritage.
Duration: 3 hours
Starting point: Metro station “Acropolis” exit Areopagitou (exact location here).
Drop-off Point: Metro Station “Kerameikos”
Language of delivery: English
- Meet & greet at Hotel (for hotels within walking distance from the start point)
- Private guidance by a Big Olive field expert (historian)
- All taxes, legal charges and processing fees.
Meals, transfers and other personal expenses not mentioned above
Ratecard (The below rates are per group)
1 person 2-4 persons 5-7 persons 8-10 persons 10-12 persons 12-15 persons 15-20 persons
180 € 200 € 240 € 260 € 280 € 300 € 320 €
- Rates vary according to group size and the duration of the walk.
- This walk is available for private bookings only and allows further customization/theme adaptation
- You can extend or reduce the duration of the walk (please contact us for a special quote based on your preferences).
- This is a city walk – please equip yourself with comfortable shoes, a hat and sun-block.
- This walk will not enter any archaeological sites.
“Maid of Athens! I am gone. Think of me, sweet! when alone. Though I fly to Istambol, Athens holds my heart and soul” -Lord Byron, Maid of Athens.
Book your walk
Pricing & Bookings
This walk is currently only offered to private groups in English or in Greek, with the price on display being for the whole group (depending on its size). Kindly indicate the preferred date, starting time & participant number by filling the following form